Sunday

What's My Best Photo EVER?

This question was asked in the Digital Photography School blog - a photography blog that I read quite religiously. At first, I thought picking out my best photo would be one of the easiest things I've ever done in my life...

I was quite wrong.

Before I write on, I'll go ahead and show the photo that I did pick for my Best Photo Ever...
Looking Over Lake of the Woods

I took this photo while on vacation in Canada in 2006. It was one of the very first photographs I snapped upon arriving.

So, how does one choose his or her best photograph? I'll try my best to give suggestions on how to do so, and I'll include other pictures I considered among my best when trying to decide...

Through a Child's Eyes

It's very easy for us to choose our favorite photos - perhaps they are of something or someone special; maybe they invoke a special memory.

May I Have this Dance Forever?

But finding the best photo one has ever taken... Well, that requires us to be objective. You must look at the quality of your picture, if it is pleasing to the eye, even what type of photo is is.

Fireman's Class-A Portrait

When I was going through all my favorite photos, I realized that very few - if any - were of my best photographs.

With This Ring...

Many of the pictures that first came to my mind were some of my little girl. I realized that it is impossible to look at these photos without a bit of prejudice. "Of course they're great pictures - they have my daughter in them!" So no matter how good those pictures were, I knew that I couldn't count any as my BEST.

Striking Beauty

There were several other hurdles to cross when going through all my digital photographs. Though I loved many other photos that included my family & friends, I had to stop & ask myself "Is it the photo or who's in it that I consider great?

Other photos I had in my archive were of film photographs. (Like the one above)

All these elements combined may be why I landed upon the snapshot that I did. It's scenic & beautiful, it's aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and I can say these things with complete objectivity.

Keep all these things in mind while selecting your portfolio pictures as well - don't just pick your favorites; pick your best.

So what do you all think? Did I choose the right photo? I'd love to hear your feedback. I have a poll over at my other blog - Faith, Family, Friends, Photography... Feel free to vote! I'd also like to know, what makes a photo "the best" to you?

Thanks so much for reading though this rather lengthy post. And it's still not quite over! Below are several of my favorite pictures of my daughter that I just love, but couldn't include in the running for "best" photo. Maybe they'll give you all some ideas for little girl/baby photographs!


Much love to you all and God Bless!

No comments: